Bob Morgan's Memories from the late
30's / early 40's

Grandmother and Grandfather Morgan's Farm Days

Every 4th of July, Grandpa would buy a big rocket and shoot it off after dark from the side yard.

During maneuvers, troops found out that Grandma had some good looking daughter's helping her with the cooking and began to flock to the serving windows for their coffee and doughnuts.

Grandpa assigned us the task of finding out how one chicken was getting out of the hen house to use her own nest.  When the nest was found, Grandpa picked up the new egg she laid every day.  When the older eggs hatched he would put the new chicks into a pen.

I remember trips to the Norwood Creamery to pick up whey for feeding the pigs.  That was our chore (when there) to do the feeding.

Grandma had a fit when Grandpa and our Dad let us help with butchering the pigs.  It was a big event at Christmas when the grandparents came with ham, bacon and sausage all prepared by Grampa.

I remember having to 'candle' and grade all eggs getting a crateful to send to New York City.

I remember the many hours spent turning the separator to get the Golden Jersey cream for Norwood customers.

I also remember the 2 or 3 trips to Norwood  every week taking all kinds of cookies, bread rolls and chicken eggs etc. to customers.

Eggs that didn't make specifications were placed in a big crock in the cellar and submerged in a water glass for preservation to be used for cooking purposes at a later date.

It was great fun splitting maple trees then sawing them up ofr firewood.  The old truck was jacked up in the right rear and had a belt running from the back wheel to the saw.  The fun stopped, however; when we had to carry the wood to the woodshed!

Trees were cut in the woodlot off the Knapps Station road.

Some summers the well had to be cleaned.  All snakes were asked to leave.  A small man or boy would climb down the well using the stones in the well walls as a ladder.  Mud etc. was put in a pail and pulled up to the surface by the man above.  Snakes did not like our presence.

Gramdpa loved his alfalfa field.  He would not waste any of it.  The last raking was done by big wooden tooth rakes.

I almost lost an eye each year trying to look through the hole in the haymow to see what Grandpa's favorite cat had for kittens.  She hated strangers.

I remember big arguments every night over who would drive the cows back to the pasture.

Thanksgiving dinner ended with 3 to 4 pieces of pie eaten by Etta Rae, Wayne and Bob. All needed naps on the bed upstairs afterward.

Winter nights were filled with the loud hum of the electric wires hooked to the end bedroom.

I remember the nights of motionless sleep due to the heavy 'millfelt' blankets.